
Santa Teresa 1796 is one of those bottles that holds a special place in my rum collection. It was one of the first rums that really made me stop and think about what rum could be. I remember trying it and basically thinking, "Wait a minute. What am I drinking?" It was that much of a departure from some of the lighter, simpler rums I had encountered before.
I've also gifted quite a few bottles of the standard Santa Teresa 1796 over the years, and it's actually helped turn a few people into rum drinkers. So when Santa Teresa comes out with something different, I'm usually pretty interested in checking it out. And they've done quite a few interesting things with 1796 and their other releases. We've seen coffee barrel finishes, Scotch barrel finishes and other experiments with different casks. This time around, Santa Teresa decided to take their solera-aged rum and give it a 10-month finish in Teeling Irish whiskey barrels.
That immediately caught my attention. Rum and Irish whiskey aren't necessarily the first two things I'd think to put together, so I was really curious to see whether the Teeling barrels would actually add something meaningful to the 1796 profile or whether the rum would simply overpower the finish.
Before getting into the finish itself, it's worth talking about how Santa Teresa 1796 is made.
Santa Teresa uses a solera aging system, which is a pretty fascinating way of producing a spirit. In a simplified version of the process, the older rum is held in barrels toward the bottom of the system. As rum is removed, those barrels are replenished with rum from barrels above them, which are then replenished from the next level, and so on. It's essentially a cascading system that allows older and younger rums to continually interact.
Because the system isn't completely emptied, there can always be some older rum remaining in the blend. Santa Teresa indicates that rum up to 35 years old can be represented in the solera, but that doesn't mean this is a traditional 35-year-old rum. Solera aging makes assigning a conventional age statement much more complicated because you're dealing with a continually evolving blend. That's one of the things I find interesting about solera aging. It's less about being able to put a specific number on the bottle and more about maintaining a particular character over time.
The question is what happens when you take that already mature rum and give it another layer of Irish whiskey barrel influence.
Age Statement: N/A.
ABV: 45%.
Mash bill: Estate-grown sugarcane harvested exclusively in the Aragua Valley of Venezuela.
Area of Distillation: Venezuela.
Finishing: Ex-Teeling Irish Whisky barrels for 10 months.
Appearance: Burgundy-red.
On the nose:
The nose immediately reminds me why I enjoy Santa Teresa 1796 so much. There's a deep, rich rum character right away, with plenty of dark molasses and burnt sugar. Cinnamon and classic rum spice are also present, along with some softer tropical notes underneath. But after spending some time with it, the Teeling influence starts to show itself.
There's a noticeable maltiness here that you don't normally associate with the standard 1796. I'm also getting more oak, vanilla, caramel and brown sugar, which makes sense considering the history of the barrels involved. There's a little banana and coconut hiding underneath everything, along with a light pepper note and some orange peel.
What's particularly impressive is how clean this is at 45% ABV. There's no harsh alcohol burn or distracting heat. Instead, everything feels integrated. The longer I sit with it, the more interesting it becomes. The rum is still very much in charge, but there's this additional malty, slightly savory layer underneath it that keeps pulling me back into the glass.
Taste:
The palate starts exactly where I'd expect Santa Teresa 1796 to start, with dark molasses, burnt sugar and that rich, almost viscous texture that makes the standard expression so enjoyable.
There's cinnamon and clove, along with tropical spice and a mixture of darker and sweeter fruit. Then that Teeling finish starts making itself known. The Irish whiskey brings a soft malt and barley character into the middle of the palate. There's almost a shortbread-cookie quality to it, along with a little green apple that reminds me of the fruitier side of Irish whiskey. It's subtle, but it's absolutely noticeable.
The Teeling barrels aren't trying to completely rewrite Santa Teresa 1796. They're adding another layer to something that was already good. There's also a little expressed orange character that helps lift the palate, keeping all of those darker molasses and burnt-sugar flavors from becoming too heavy. The texture is another standout. It's rich and coating, and the flavors stick around long enough for you to really appreciate the additional complexity from the barrel finish.
Finish:
The finish starts on the darker, richer side, with burnt sugar and dark molasses carrying over from the palate. Then it gradually gets sweeter and more fruit-driven. I'm getting tropical fruit, particularly something along the lines of papaya, along with darker fruit that reminds me of grilled plum. There's also a softer sugarcane sweetness that comes through as the heavier flavors begin to fade. And just when you think the rum is taking over again, that Irish whiskey maltiness comes back into the picture.
It's not a huge whiskey finish, but it's persistent enough to remind you that this isn't the standard 1796. That's ultimately what makes the finish successful to me. Ten months was enough time to make a difference, but not so much that the Teeling barrels completely dominate the rum.
Final Thoughts:
This is a really good example of how a finishing barrel should be used. Going into this, I wasn't entirely sure how much an Irish whiskey barrel could contribute to Santa Teresa 1796. Irish whiskey generally has a lighter and softer profile than the dark, rich character of this rum, so there was always a possibility that the finish would simply disappear. Instead, it does exactly what you want a good finish to do.
The Santa Teresa 1796 character is still front and center. You get the molasses, burnt sugar, tropical fruit, cinnamon and rich texture that make the original so enjoyable. But the Teeling barrels add a layer of malt, barley, shortbread, green apple and additional oak that gives the rum more complexity.
And importantly, it doesn't feel gimmicky. I've had finished spirits where the barrel feels like the entire point of the release. Here, the finish feels more like an enhancement. It gives the rum something extra without taking away the identity of the spirit underneath it. At around $49.99, I think it's a pretty easy recommendation for someone who already enjoys Santa Teresa 1796 and wants to try something a little different.
I'd actually really like to do a side-by-side comparison between this and the standard 1796 at some point. That would be the best way to really demonstrate just how much those 10 months in Teeling barrels change the profile. For now, though, I'm impressed. This is a unique rum, the finish works, and it's something I could easily see myself pouring for friends who already enjoy the standard 1796.
Rating: B+ (Great).
Cost: $49.99 for 750ml.
Comments
Post a Comment