Desnuda is one of those tequila brands that I’ve been excited to spend more time with because it falls a little outside the typical lineup of brands I get to experience here in Indiana. We have plenty of the familiar names, but finding something that feels a little more off the beaten path can be a challenge. After enjoying the Desnuda Blanco, I knew I wanted to come back and see what the rest of the lineup had to offer.
Tonight, we're moving up to the Desnuda Reposado, bottled at 40% ABV and aged for at least seven months. This comes from NOM 1480 and is made with 100% Blue Weber agave. It's USDA Organic, kosher certified, GMO-free, additive-free, and gluten-free. For me, the additive-free designation is particularly noteworthy because transparency around additives is something I really appreciate seeing from tequila brands. The kosher certification is another interesting piece, especially because maintaining a fully kosher production process is not exactly an easy or inexpensive undertaking.
This expression is aged for seven months in white American oak, giving us a chance to see what that additional time in the barrel does to what I already enjoyed about the Blanco. That balance is really what I was looking for here. The Blanco gave me a great look at the agave-forward side of Desnuda, so the question was whether the Reposado could build on that foundation without burying it underneath the oak.
Desnuda has also picked up some notable accolades in 2026, including a Tequila of the Year award from a competition that was a non-paid entry. As I’ve said many times before, awards are awards and should always be taken with a grain of salt, but knowing that the brand earned this title rather than a paid-for placement certainly gives it a little more weight in my book. On top of that, Desnuda was also named the official tequila of the 2026 Indianapolis 500, which is a pretty cool title to see attached to a spirit coming from, essentially, my own backyard.
Age Statement: 7 months.
ABV: 40%.
Mash bill: 100% Blue webber agave.
Area of Distillation: Jalisco, Mexico.
NOM: 1480.
Finishing: 7 months in American white oak.
Appearance: Pale yellow.
On the nose:
The Reposado immediately shows me why I ended up preferring it over the Blanco. Where the Blanco is much more agave-forward and youthful, the Reposado brings in a beautiful oak undertone that gives the spirit another layer of character. I'm getting something that reminds me of sandalwood along with black peppercorn and a really interesting peppermint note. Specifically, it reminds me of those soft, pillowy peppermints that have that light powdery texture while still bringing plenty of sweetness and peppermint flavor.
There's also a subtle earthy smokiness in the background. It's not peat smoke or anything particularly heavy, but you can tell the barrel char has made an impact. Honey and maple notes start to come through as well, adding another layer of sweetness to the profile. What I really like is how approachable this is. There's no harsh alcohol coming through at 40% ABV, and nothing feels out of place. The agave is still there, but the oak has rounded out the experience and given it more depth. For someone who finds some Blanco tequilas a little too agave-forward, I could absolutely see the Reposado being an easier entry point.
Taste:
The palate takes everything I was getting on the nose and turns up the barrel influence. There's a cooked agave sweetness underneath everything, but now we're getting oak, vanilla, caramel, and a little bit of spice. There's almost a brown sugar quality here that reminds me of bourbon, which isn't surprising considering the influence of the American oak. The peppermint note remains present as well, along with honey and a little maple-nut candy character. But honestly, the biggest difference for me is the texture.
This tequila has a much richer, more substantial mouthfeel than the Blanco. It coats the palate and hangs around, giving those sweeter and wood-driven characteristics more time to develop. There's still that slightly powdery quality that reminds me of the pillowy peppermint, but it's balanced by the richer sweetness and oak. At 40% ABV, this drinks incredibly easily. It's approachable without being boring, and there's enough complexity here to make sipping it neat genuinely enjoyable. I think it would also work extremely well in cocktails, but personally, I have no problem pouring this one neat.
If you told me tthis tequila that had spent more time in the barrel than seven months, I wouldn't argue with you. The amount of character coming from that relatively short aging period is impressive.
Finish:
The finish continues that combination of cooked agave, oak, peppermint, honey, and sandalwood. It's rich without becoming heavy, and the texture keeps everything lingering on the palate. That sandalwood note is probably the most distinctive characteristic for me, especially as the sweeter notes begin to fade. There's enough oak influence to remind you this is a Reposado, but the agave never completely disappears. It's an easygoing finish, but one with enough personality to make you want another sip.
Final Thoughts:
What I appreciate most about Desnuda is how much information the brand gives us. We're getting the NOM, the seven-month aging statement, 100% Blue Weber agave, USDA Organic certification, kosher certification, GMO-free production, and an additive-free tequila. That's a lot of transparency, and it's something I like to see.
The Reposado takes what I enjoyed about the Blanco and builds on it. The Blanco provides the foundation, but the seven months in American oak add vanilla, caramel, oak, spice, honey, maple, and that really interesting sandalwood character without completely covering up the agave. And that's what makes this such an enjoyable tequila for me. It works as a neat pour, it would be right at home in a cocktail, and at around the mid-$40s to mid-$50s depending on where you find it, I think there's a lot to like here.
It's a beautiful step up from the Blanco, and it's one I'd be happy to keep on my back bar. More importantly, I think this is a fantastic stepping stone for someone who is getting more serious about tequila and wants something with a little more barrel character without losing the core agave profile.
Rating: -A (Amazing).
Cost: $49.99 for 750ml.
Comments
Post a Comment