
When I’m looking at bourbon in the $40 range, I’m usually asking a pretty simple question: does this bottle give me enough reason to put it on my shelf? With whiskey prices continuing to climb, budget-friendly bottles have become more interesting to me, and Whiskey Jypsi Tribute immediately caught my attention for a couple of reasons.
First, the bottle itself looks fantastic. The rippled glass gives it a little bit of a High West-inspired feel, while the engraved cork adds another nice touch. It definitely stands out on the shelf without relying on a giant celebrity name plastered across the front. That’s something I appreciate, especially considering Whiskey Jypsi was created in collaboration with country artist Eric Church and others from the whiskey industry.
But what really caught my attention was what Whiskey Jypsi tells us about the whiskey itself. Tribute is a blend of straight bourbons from Tennessee and Kentucky, aged at least four years, and the bourbon receives a secondary barrel finish lasting between three and six months. For a celebrity-associated whiskey brand, I honestly didn't expect to see that level of transparency. We know where the bourbon is coming from, we know the mash bill, we know the age, and we even know how long that secondary barrel finishing takes place. That's a big plus in my book, especially when we're talking about a bottle that typically lands around the $40 to $45 range.
The Tennessee component might immediately make some people wonder if there's going to be some of that familiar Tennessee minerality showing up, but I can tell you right away that I didn't get that characteristic here. All this balled together is really what made me want to get this one into the glass. It's affordable, it's transparent about what's inside, and it has that double-barrel element without trying to make itself sound like something it isn't. Now it's time to see if all of that actually translates into a good bourbon.
Age Statement: 4 years.
ABV: 43%.
Mash bill: Cherokee white corn, 10% rye, and 10% malted barley.
Area of Distillation: Tennessee and Kentucky
Finishing: Double barreled between 3-6 months.
Appearance: Pale golden.
On the nose:
The nose immediately leans sweet, with plenty of sweet grains and buttery corn coming forward. That Cherokee white corn brings a noticeable corn sweetness that almost starts moving toward kettle corn, while green apple and homemade caramel add some fruit and confectionary character. There's also a very subtle rye spice and a light herbal quality underneath it all, along with a touch of floral character that reminds me of honeysuckle or a fresh bouquet of flowers.
For a four-year bourbon at 43% ABV, I'm honestly impressed with how approachable this smells. There's no alcohol burn or harshness to speak of, and nothing really feels out of place. The combination of the corn-heavy mash bill and secondary barrel finishing gives this a profile that smells a little older than the age statement might suggest.
Taste:
The palate starts with that same buttery corn sweetness before rolling into a toasted character that reminds me of toasted marshmallow. There's a nice amount of char from the barrel, followed by green apple dipped into homemade caramel. Brown sugar adds another layer of sweetness, while the secondary barrel gives the whiskey a solid, somewhat viscous texture.
There are also some darker fruit characteristics that begin to show up as the whiskey develops. I'm not necessarily getting specific notes of figs or plums, but there is a deeper fruit quality underneath the brighter apple notes that helps keep the bourbon from becoming one-dimensional.
The rye is present, but it's definitely playing a supporting role. There's a little cinnamon stick and perhaps a small pinch of clove, but the corn and barrel sweetness remain the stars of the show. At 43% ABV, this obviously isn't going to deliver a huge, booming flavor profile, but I think it's doing a surprisingly good job with the proof it's given.
Finish:
The finish is where I think Tribute shows its biggest limitation. It's pleasant and carries those sweet corn, caramel, brown sugar, and toasted oak characteristics forward, but it doesn't have quite the cling to the palate that I was hoping for.
Some of that is simply the 43% ABV. There's enough flavor here to make the whiskey interesting, but another couple of proof points could have given it a little more weight and longevity. Still, there's no harshness, no off-notes, and the flavors remain cohesive all the way through. For a four-year-old bourbon at this price, that's a pretty easy criticism to live with.
Final Thoughts:
Whiskey Jypsi Tribute was one of the more surprising four-year bourbons I've had in a while. I went into this expecting a fairly straightforward budget bourbon, and while it is definitely straightforward, there's more going on here than I expected. The transparency is a huge positive. We know the bourbon is coming from Tennessee and Kentucky, we know the 80/10/10 mash bill, we know the minimum age, and we know the secondary barrel finishing lasts three to six months. I especially like what that Cherokee white corn brings to the profile, and the double-barreling adds enough toasted oak, caramel, and brown sugar character to make the whiskey feel cohesive.
At around $40 to $45, I think this is a very easy bottle to understand. It's not the most complex bourbon I've ever had, and it's certainly not trying to be a barrel-proof flavor bomb. Instead, it's a straightforward, approachable bourbon that you can pour without thinking too hard about it. It's also the kind of bottle I could see being great for sharing with friends. The lower proof makes it approachable, while the flavor profile still gives you enough to actually enjoy in the glass. I could also see this working nicely in a lower-proof Old Fashioned.
Honestly, if you had handed me this glass without telling me it was associated with a celebrity brand, I would still be saying the same things. That's probably the biggest compliment I can give it.
Rating: B- (Fairly good).
Cost: $43.99 for 750ml.
Comments
Post a Comment