Whiskey Jypsi Hungarian Oak Finished Bourbon Whiskey Review.

Whiskey Jypsi Hungarian Oak Finished Bourbon Whiskey


   Whiskey Jypsi is one of those brands that I had seen popping up on shelves here and there, but it took me a little while to finally dive into what they were doing. After trying a couple of their introductory bottles, including the Explorer and Tribute, I quickly found myself enjoying the direction of the brand. What I didn't realize when I first started exploring Whiskey Jypsi was that it is a celebrity-backed project from Eric Church.

    Normally, celebrity-backed spirits aren't necessarily something that gets me excited on its own, but Whiskey Jypsi has done something that I really appreciate: they've been fairly transparent about what is actually in the bottle. Age statements, mash bills, sourcing information, finishes and blends are all things I like to see as a reviewer and a consumer. That transparency goes a long way.

    The Finish Seeker Series is particularly interesting because it takes that base bourbon and gives it some additional time in unique oak. The first release was finished in Mizunara oak, and I really enjoyed what that finish brought to the whiskey. This release switches things up with Hungarian oak, and I was curious to see how that would change the profile.

    Hungarian oak is known for having a tighter grain than some other varieties of oak, which can contribute more subtle and softer characteristics rather than simply piling on heavier oak flavors. In this case, Whiskey Jypsi is using that additional maturation to push the bourbon toward a sweeter and fruitier profile.


For the full video review visit the link here: https://youtu.be/j2cxbg7uDCw.

Age Statement: 6 Years.

ABV: 55%.

Mash bill: 66% corn, 30% rye and 4% malted barley.

Area of Distillation: Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

Finishing: Hungarian Oak.

Appearance: Dark amber.


On the nose:
    The Hungarian oak makes its presence known almost immediately. Instead of coming across as a heavily oaked bourbon, this has a much softer and sweeter character. I'm getting green apple, almost like freshly sliced apples that are ready to be dipped in caramel, along with a little cherry and some of that rye spice underneath it all. Cinnamon stick and clove bring some warmth, while a confectionery, almost pastry-sugar sweetness sits over the top.

    There is definitely some barrel warmth here at 55% ABV, but it isn't harsh. Underneath the proof, you still get those familiar bourbon notes of oak, vanilla, caramel and brown sugar. The caramel in particular is really nice, coming across soft, rich and sweet. The 30% rye mash bill gives it enough spice to keep things interesting, but I actually think the Hungarian oak helps tame some of that rye intensity. The result is a nose that is sweet, fruity and spicy without becoming overwhelming.


Taste:
    The palate continues that sweeter direction and really delivers on the fruit. Green apple comes through with a tart sweetness, followed by cherry, apricot, peach and pear. There's a lot happening here, but it doesn't feel disjointed. The fruit sits nicely alongside the bourbon's caramel, vanilla, oak and wood-sugar characteristics.

    The rye shows itself with a nice level of spice and just a touch of herbal character, but again, the Hungarian oak seems to soften the sharper edges. There's a rich, oily texture that coats the palate without becoming heavy or cloying. The bourbon itself remains very recognizable underneath the finish, which I think is important. Sometimes a finish can completely take over a whiskey, but that's not the case here. Instead, the Hungarian oak adds another layer while allowing the underlying bourbon to remain present.


Finish:
    The finish is where I think this whiskey really shines. The sweetness sticks around, followed by a light pepperiness and a growing wave of baking spices. Cinnamon stick, clove and just a touch of nutmeg start to show up, almost like they're being sprinkled over those caramel-covered apples. There's a good amount of warmth from the 110 proof, but interestingly, it doesn't drink nearly as hot as the nose initially suggests. 

Instead, it settles into a rich and velvety finish that continues to deliver those sweet fruit and baking-spice characteristics. The corn isn't quite as noticeable here as it is in the overall bourbon profile, but that sweet backbone remains throughout. For someone like me who tends to gravitate toward sweeter bourbons, this finish is right in my wheelhouse. It leaves you with enough spice and oak to keep things interesting while still making you want to go back for another sip.


Final Thoughts: 
    Whiskey Jypsi has another really interesting bottle on its hands with the Finished Seeker Series Hungarian Oak. I think the finish does exactly what it should do: it adds something meaningful to the bourbon without completely covering up what's underneath it. The Hungarian oak is definitely the dominant influence for me, but it dominates in a way that elevates the whiskey rather than replacing it. The result is a rich, sweet and fruity bourbon with enough rye spice and baking spice to keep the palate balanced.

    I also really appreciate the transparency from Whiskey Jypsi. Knowing that we're looking at a six-year-old Indiana-sourced bourbon with a 66% corn, 30% rye and 4% malted barley mash bill gives you a much better understanding of what's actually in the bottle. That's something I wish more brands, especially celebrity-backed brands, would embrace.

    My biggest hesitation is the price. I've seen this bottle around $90, while the typical suggested retail price seems to be closer to $100. At that price, I think it's getting a little expensive for a six-year-old bourbon. I'd be much more comfortable around $75–$80. At that price, this would be a much easier recommendation for someone looking for a finished bourbon with a sweeter profile.

    At around $90, I think it's worth considering if this flavor profile sounds like something you'd enjoy. At $100, I'd definitely recommend trying it before buying a bottle. There's nothing wrong with the whiskey itself; it's simply a matter of whether the profile and finish justify that price for you. For me, though, I'm still going to enjoy this bottle quite a bit. I think I like it just as much as the Mizunara-finished release, although for completely different reasons.  


Rating: B (Above average).

Cost: $99.99 for 750ml.

For the full video review visit the link here: https://youtu.be/j2cxbg7uDCw.

Social platforms to follow me: https://linktr.ee/thelastcallyt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maker's Mark Cask Strength 7 Year Bourbon Whiskey Review.

Elijah Craig A925 Barrel Proof Rye Whiskey Review.

Penelope 18 Year American Light Whiskey Review.