Joseph Magnus 10 Year Straight Rye Whiskey Review.
Joseph Magnus is probably best known these days for its Cigar Blend Bourbon, a whiskey that has become one of those bottles people either swear by or spend a lot of time comparing batch to batch. I've had a few different versions myself, and one thing I've learned is that they can vary quite a bit. Some are bottles I'd absolutely hunt down, while others aren't quite as exciting.
So when Joseph Magnus released its Cask Strength Straight Rye Whiskey, I was immediately interested. The company has talked about this being its first rye release in more than 100 years, which is certainly a fun piece of marketing. But for me, the much more interesting part is what's actually inside the bottle.
Joseph Magnus is very transparent about sourcing this whiskey from MGP, using the classic 95% rye and 5% malted barley mash bill. MGP has built quite a reputation for producing excellent rye whiskey, and I've never been shy about saying that Indiana produces some phenomenal rye. The real question is whether Joseph Magnus can take that stock and turn it into something special.
Age Statement: 10 years 9 months.
ABV: 56.72% (Cask strength).
Mash bill: 95% rye & 5% malted barley.
Area of Distillation: Lawrenceburg, Indiana.
Appearance: Dark mahogany.
On the nose:
On the nose:
The nose on this rye is where things immediately start getting interesting. There's a beautiful combination of sweet char, herbal rye spice, and orchard fruit, with green apple bringing a bright sweetness into the mix. Underneath that is a really interesting floral quality that reminds me of walking into a flower shop, along with cinnamon, clove, and just a quick grating of nutmeg. There's also this creamy vanilla character that reminds me of crème brûlée, and when you combine that with the char coming from the barrel, it gives the whiskey a really rich and almost buttery quality.
As I kept going back to the glass, I started picking up a little lemon zest and an earthy, green character that reminded me of citronella or a fresh plant. Then there's this darker cocktail-cherry note sitting underneath everything, almost like a Luxardo cherry. The crazy thing is how much is happening without the nose ever becoming muddled. It smells rich, oily, and viscous, and every time I went back to it, I seemed to find another little layer. This is exactly what I want from older rye whiskey, and honestly, I could sit here and nose this glass all night.
Taste:
The palate follows through beautifully, starting off rich, velvety, oily, and spicy. That cinnamon stick and clove character immediately comes through, along with the crème brûlée sweetness and a really pronounced cherry note that again reminds me of a cocktail cherry. The whiskey coats the palate extremely well, and despite coming in at 56.72% ABV, the proof doesn't come across as overly aggressive. There's a good warmth there, but it feels controlled and appropriate for the whiskey.
The oak and char are present, but you're also getting those sweeter wood sugars that keep everything balanced. The classic 95/5 rye character is definitely there too, bringing that herbal and floral rye spice, although one thing I noticed is that I'm not getting the dill notes that sometimes show up in Indiana rye. That's probably going to make this even more appealing to people who don't enjoy that particular characteristic.
The more I sip it, the more complex it becomes, with some subtle cocoa and chocolate notes joining the party. At this point, my brain is almost doing that popcorn effect where another note keeps popping up every time I take a sip. It's rich, it's oily, it's spicy, it's sweet, and somehow all of those things are working together instead of fighting each other. That tells me the blending work Joseph Magnus has done here is really, really good.
Finish:
The finish is where this whiskey really earns that older age statement for me. It doesn't just disappear after the initial burst of spice. Instead, the oily texture keeps everything sitting on the palate while the cinnamon, sweet rye spice, oak, and fruit slowly fade away. There's a lingering candied-apple sweetness that hangs around with that baking spice, while the chocolate and herbal character continue to pop in and out. The balance between the sweet and spicy components is fantastic, and there's enough oak influence to give the whiskey depth without making it feel overly woody.
As I sat with the finish, I kept thinking about cocktails, specifically a Black Manhattan. I think this whiskey would absolutely shine in one. That combination of rye spice, cherry, chocolate, oak, and sweetness feels almost tailor-made for a cocktail like that. But honestly, it's so enjoyable neat that I'd have a hard time giving up much of it for mixing.
Final Thoughts:
This might be my favorite rye whiskey of 2026 so far. That's a statement I don't make lightly, especially because we're only in September and there are still plenty of bottles I haven't tried. There are also some serious unicorn-level ryes out there that I haven't gotten my hands on yet. But judging the bottles I've personally tasted, this one is sitting at the top of the list right now.
The transparency around the MGP sourcing is a major positive for me. The 95/5 mash bill is a proven recipe for excellent rye, the 10-year, 9-month age statement is impressive, and the cask strength presentation makes this even more appealing. But none of that matters if the whiskey doesn't deliver, and this absolutely delivers. At $74.99, this is a steal. At the $90 I paid in Indiana, I'm still completely happy with the purchase. Honestly, I'd have no problem paying $100 for this bottle. That's how much I enjoyed it.
It has the complexity I want from an older rye without becoming overly oaky, it has plenty of spice without being dominated by heat, and it manages to showcase what MGP 95/5 rye can do while still feeling like a Joseph Magnus whiskey. The blending is excellent, the transparency is appreciated, and the final product is simply a fantastic rye. For rye lovers, this is absolutely worth tracking down. Even if you're not normally a rye person, I'd recommend getting a pour of this before writing it off.
Rating: +A (Perfection).
Cost: $89.99 for 750ml.
For the full video review visit the link here: https://youtu.be/ywrDR84mW1w.
Social platforms to follow me: https://linktr.ee/thelastcallyt.
Comments
Post a Comment